- To set up the Categories Game, arrange the group in a circle.
- The leader begins the game by starting a simple clapping rhythm of his/her choice, such as two beats on their lap and one clap. The group continues the beat for the entire game.
- The leader then calls out a category, such as colors, insects, states, cars, etc. He/she then says one item in that category. The person to his/her left then names a different item.
- The game progresses this way in a clockwise motion until someone is unable to name a new item, or calls out an item that has already been named. The person who makes a mistake is out. (You can also keep them in the game and simply start over).
- The person who is that person’s left names a new category and the game continues.