Now this is fun! Washer throwing games are very fun, easy to play, and
lend themselves to all sorts of usefulness at camp, such as competitions or
aka Texas, Polish, Hillbilly, or Redneck Horseshoes
Regardless of what you call it, this game is FUN! Not only can you
play it at camp, but they are perfect to tuck into your van or bus take
on away trips to keep your campers entertained!
Go here for printable
Official Rules for Texas Horseshoes
(also known as Polish, Redneck, or Hillbilly Horsehoes)
Breaking 21 – Penalty
These rules can be adjusted with any variation that you wish, but must
be agreed on before a game begins.
Build your own Texas Horseshoes (Hillbilly-Polish-Redneck
1. Measure & cut the following:
2. Create a frame by screwing two 3-foot and three 15-inch boards together.
The shorter boards are on the inside of the longer boards. Repeat for
3. Drill (2) 1/2″ holes for the rope handle approximately 8 inches
apart on one long side of each frame.
4. Cut (2) 1-foot sections for rope handles. Insert rope end through
each hole, and tie knot on inside of frame to create handle. Repeat for
5. Use a framing square, and draw a line across the plywood at 8″,
18″, and 28″. Then mark the middle of each of these lines (at
9″ mark). Draw a 3″ circle at each location, and cut with a
jig saw, or a 3″ hole cutter drill bit if you are so fortunate…
6. Attach the plywood tops to the frames using deck screws.
7. Seal with 2-3 coats of polyurethane.
8. Screw one eye hook into top end of each frame. Attach end of rope
to each eye hook – this ensures exact spacing every time!
Check out McMaster-Carr if your local hardware store doesn’t carry 2.5″ or 3″ washers.
Check out WasherPit.com for custom made washers. Very cool!